In many places across the country, homes and businesses can elect whether or not to install either a heating or cooling system. However, here in beautiful Utah, we get the cold, snowy winter as well as the sweltering, desert summers. For homes and businesses in Salt Lake City, both heating and cooling are essential to comfort, nearly year-round! For many people, they only think about their HVAC systems at the beginning of the season when they turn them on for the first time and then when something goes wrong and things start getting uncomfortable! Avoid a breakdown and help keep your residential or commercial HVAC system running smooth all year with some routine maintenance.
Typical HVAC maintenance check-ups should include:
- Check thermostat settings
- Check and tighten loose connections
- Lubricate moving parts
- Check, inspect, and clean the condensate drain
- Check controls for proper operation
- Inspect, clean, or change air filters
Air conditioning / cooling specific check-ups should also include:
*note- this should be done prior to using your cooling system for the first time in the season!
- Clean evaporator and condenser coils
- Check refrigerant level and adjust as necessary
- Clean and adjust blower components
Heating specific check-ups should also include:
*note- this should be done prior to using your heating system for the first time in the season!
- Check gas or oil pressure
- Check and clean the burner combustion
- Check and inspect the heat exchanger
Routine maintenance helps to ensure that your systems remain operative, without failing. When the parts are inspected and cleaned, you can better identify small issues before they become large problems and it helps to extend the life of your HVAC system considerably. Most of these things you can do yourself, but if you want the total package and want to reserve your do-it-yourself gumption for other projects, give the HVAC experts at Service Mechanical Controls a call today!